Saturday, February 26, 2011

Cake Balls

I tried my hand at cake balls Thursday,
and it didn't go as smoothly as I had hoped.

I've seen all you fabulous bloggers make these GORGEOUS cake balls, and I wanted to give them a shot. Well, mine looked TERRIBLE. I don't know what I was doing wrong but they didn't dip into the chocolate and come out looking bakery perfect. They didn't dip easily at all, and I was over it at 5:15 when I trashed my first batch of chocolate and left to study chemistry. 

About 10:30 when I finished studying I had Ally go with me BACK to Walmart to get more chocolate for the dreaded cake balls that were waiting for me in the freezer. I'm talking a cookie sheet, and 2 round pans of like 60 cake balls! I was up until 1:00am finishing those darn things! A Big thanks to my sweet roommates, Ally & Emily, for helping me out, otherwise I would have lost my sanity.

So here's the results:
I did a chocolate fudge cake box recipe with fudge frosting, dipped them in white chocolate, and sprinkled the tops with Pink Williams-Sonoma Sanding Sugar from my amazing Pink Swap Partner Melissa!


These are the ones that didn't make the cut:

I made them for all of my friends from my dorm hall last year and I wrapped them up in a cute Valentines Bucket I got at Walmart on clearance for 25 cents!!  
I love a great deal! ;)


I used Paula Deen's cake ball recipe I found via google. 
Is there a better one out there?
or do y'all have any tips for the whole dipping process?
Because I really want to master these things!


11 comments:

Bracey Pate said...

I've never made them myself, but my friend Angela does all the time. They are incredible! She dips the entire cake call into the chocolate and scoops it out with a spoon.

Portuguese Prepster said...

These are so cute! I will have to try making them sometime!

Carley said...

Those are soo cute!! I am sure they were yummy!

Neely said...

Anytime you want to make me some cake balls I will gladly accept them :)

Meredith! said...

they look delicious!! =) i want to give them a try myself so if you find a better recipe let me know!

Megan said...

They look great, Leslie! Did you chill them before you dipped them? That's the key! I crumbled up my cake and mixed in the frosting, then put that in the fridge for about an hour. Then, I made the cake balls and then stuck them in the fridge for another hour or so. That way they dipped easier!

Sarah @ Scissors and a Whisk said...

Mmm those look yummy!! I like to use Bakerella's recipe :)

I find it helpful to melt the chocolate in deep bowl (I've done it with a shallow bowl and I end up just covering the cake balls in chocolate rather than being able to DIP them). Also, use a spoon, and be sure and tap the spoon so the excess chocolate comes off. Look up Bakerella's book on Amazon and she has an instructional video which should help. Maybe consider using a cooling rack to set the balls on with something underneath so the chocolate can drip off?

Hope that helps! Either way I'm sure they tasted GREAT!

Jamie said...

Yum! They look delicious!

A Girl said...

These look WAY better than my first attempt. I've learned that if you let the cake and frosting mixture sit in the fridge over night it works best.

Melissa said...

They look perfect! Yummy!!

Kelsey @ Seattle Smith's said...

Oh my goodness, I must try it. They look lovely!